Thank You, Toastmasters

Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 by cheehoe















Muz, Immediate Past President of KPMG KL Toastmasters Club

For those who still have doubts about the Power of Toastmasters, I hope this story will give you some inspiration.

Recently, I was asked to be the Emcee for an event at Bursa Malaysia, my current employer. I didn’t know the details, but I said “Yes” anyway.

I found out later that the event was to be graced by Tan Sri Zarinah Anwar (Chairman of the Securities Commission Malaysia), Board of Directors of Bursa Malaysia, Dato’ Yusli Mohamed Yusoff (our CEO), the Heads of Investment Banks (the likes of Tengku Dato’ Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz, Chief Executive Offcer of Maybank Investment Bank) and delegates from the Thailand Stock Exchange. Previously I had participated as the Emcee for a smaller event at Bursa but I did not realized that this event was going to be so BIG!! I was so terrified !!

BUT, there was no turning back and furthermore, there was no back-up Emcee.

The event took place on 29 July 2010, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and I was the “Master of ceremony”. This role is not just an ordinary Emcee but playing the multi-faceted role of the host, welcoming the crowd, facilitator, handling the Q&A sessions and ensuring the overall smooth running of the event. Imagine doing all this in front of a crowd of 150 people and most of them senior dignitaries. Definitely no mean feat… but I managed to pull it off!


I was extremely nervous and I tried very hard not to show this to the audience. I even managed to crack a few jokes, uttered a few words in Thai to make our Thai delegates feel welcome. I also managed to keep within the time limit.

The event was a SUCCESS. For me, it was a personal achievement !!

All these did not occur from mere sheer luck. I would like to thank Toastmasters for giving me the skills and courage to do ALL this.













Muz winning the Best Project Speaker award at KPMG 26 June 2010 meeting







I cherish all the moments I was the Toastmaster-of-the-Evening at KPMG KL Toastmasters Club. It very well paid off! All the practice that I had, all that Area and Division competitions that I took part in, all the training and coaching I had from my gurus of Toastmasters and from all my Toastmasters friends and members! It has all paid off!







Muz is the first runner-up at the 2009 Division W Evaluation Contest








A sincere and heartfelt “Thank you Toastmasters!”
Without you, NONE of this would be possible.




Contributed by
Muz
Proud Toastmaster 2007-present
President of KPMG KL Toastmasters Club (2009/2010)

No Response to "Thank You, Toastmasters"

Leave A Reply