KL SAC Speech Contests 31.10.10

Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 by cheehoe

This was the event that many Toastmasters have been looking forward to, the District 51 Humorous Speech and Evaluation Contests. We would be witnessing performances from the crème de la crème of each Division. All in all we had the priviledge of enjoying 10 humorous speeches and 10 speech evaluations.

Our Humorous Speech Champion had us laughing out loud at various non-enviable situations in his seriously humorous “Dealing With Flatulence” speech. Our first runner-up was fantastic in her voice impersonations of the various versions of English as spoken by Malays, Chinese and Indians in her “Manglish” speech. Division W Champion Lee Xi Wen’s “Positive Thinking” left an indelible impression on the judges and audience.

Winners of District 51 Humorous Speech Contest with Contest Chair, Division A Governor Azizah and DG Thanni

Humorous Speech Contest
Champion: Ooi Ing Chyuan (Seberang Jaya Toastmasters Club)
1st Runner Up: Zarina Mustafa (USM Toastmasters Club)
2nd Runner Up: Lee Xi Wen (TTDI Toastmasters Club)

For the Evaluation Contest, we literally gasp when the test speaker’s name was announced. It was Stephen Fernando with his speech title “One More Day”. Surely it will be no easy task for the contestants to evaluate the current District 51 International Speech Contest Champion ? However we were not unduly worried, as we know that Toastmasters can achieve greatness when we put our minds to it.

Our Evaluation Champion sprinkled sparkles and winked at Stephen when he said coaxingly, “Let’s work together, Stephen”. Our first runner-up had the voice that any newscaster would die for. As for our Division W Speech Evaluation Champion, he was unfazed by the presence of seasoned contestants and test speaker. It was his first time at a District level contest and he was focused on his task at hand, to deliver a motivating evaluation.

Winners of District 51 Evaluation Contest with Contest Chair, Division W Governor Vincent and DG Thanni

Speech Evaluation Contest
Champion: Muthukumaran Kodiappen (Penang Toastmasters Club)
1st Runner Up: Bernard Louis (D'Utama Advanced Toastmasters Club)
2nd Runner Up: Seetho Whye Kit (TTDI Toastmasters Club)

And now, let us read what two first-timer Convention attendees, Diyana and Shin Ying of KPMG KL Toastmasters Club, have to share with us about attending this marvelous, memorable and magnificent KL Semi Annual Convention.

Diyana writes
Another long awaited session that I enjoyed most was the Humorous Speech Contest. The session was fun and enjoyable to watch. One great quality about all humorous speech contestants is that they are able to make the audience feel connected to their humour. In my opinion, they are all winners !

After attending this Convention, I feel more excited and enthusiastic about completing my CC and CL manuals because I have met so many DTMs during the convention. They have made me believe that if they can accomplish outstanding achievements, so can I !

I hope to be able to attend more Toastmasters conventions in the future.

Shin Ying shares her birthday joy with us
As a first-timer and serving in the Registration Team, it was a great experience to work with my team members and members from other clubs.

I have learnt a lot from the invited guests and speakers. I have learnt that each of us can deliver our speeches with our own style. My personal favourite is Tan Sri Dr. Koh’s opening speech. I really like the humour he injected into his speech. Distinguished Toastmasters such as NJ Singam, Dennis Wee, Meyya, Andy and many others have inspired me tremendously.

It’s simply amazing to learn from their sharing how they managed to juggle their time on work, Toastmasters and other personal commitments.

Sometimes I feel a bit “malu” that I need better time management to contribute to my own club, my work and my studies. I might take a little bit longer as compared to others but I know I will continue to improve and work things out.

Overall, thank you to KPMG for the opportunity given to me to attend this Convention. This is the best birthday present I have ever received !

Thank you to the Organising Committee of KL SAC for a memorable event !

Photos contributed by Yeoh Cheng Lim and Shahrizan Zamri


No Response to "KL SAC Speech Contests 31.10.10"

Leave A Reply