Shin Ying's Sharing

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 by cheehoe

Toastmasters – Opening more Opportunities for my Life and Career

Shin Ying (second from left) at Area W7 Contest Aug 2009

I never thought that one day, I will be nominated by my boss, Head of Finance department in KPMG (HOD), to organize an event.

Recently, my HOD asked me to be the representative of my department to organize a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) project together with other representatives from the business support team, to help the less fortunate people in the shelter homes. To a shy and quite person like me, this was a surprise and a great opportunity.

Not only can I help to bring a positive impact to the shelter home we have selected for our CSR project, I have this fantastic opportunity to put into practice the communication and leadership skills I have learnt from Toastmasters. It has indeed impacted my career and personal life in a positive way !

Shin Ying (second from right) with her KPMG KL club members at KL SAC Oct 2010

In fact, after joining Toastmasters, I felt there is more to life and work. I was so excited that I have been sharing Toastmasters with my family and friends so much so that they too are inspired after seeing the positive change in me. I want to share all the benefits I have learnt and received from Toastmasters, to the “less fortunate”. To my friends, colleagues and family members who lack self confidence and are terrified of public speaking, including interviews.

Now I can assist them by providing constructive help instead of just comforting them.
Although I am still learning the basic concepts and skills from Toastmasters (especially the Table Topics session – the ability to handle impromptu speeches), I know that I am already more confident and organized in my thoughts and in handling my work.

All these, I have to thank Toastmasters and to my club in giving me the opportunities to serve as club officer (Treasurer and SAA for term 2009/2010 and Treasurer for term 2010/2011).

Shin Ying (at left) at KPMG KL Club Officers Installation Ceremony June 2010

You will always learn something that will add to your knowledge and skills. For example, even though I am in the Finance department, I learnt so much from Grace Loh on how to prepare a treasury report with better presentation. TLI was another excellent opportunity for me to learn from Treasurers of other clubs when all Treasurers were given a special session to share and learn from each other.

I strongly encourage all of you to reap the benefits of being a Toastmaster by attending club meetings, visiting other clubs, attending TLI and joining contests, as well as serving as a club officer.

Hooray to KPMG KL Toastmasters Club !!

Tay Shin Ying, member of KPMG KL Toastmasters Club

No Response to "Shin Ying's Sharing"

Leave A Reply